Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Onyx Review

Book Review

 Feb. 7th

Onyx by: Jennifer Armentrout

5 Stars

Blurb:  Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.


Something worse than the Arum has come to town…


The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…


I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

 
As if the series couldn't get any better Onyx blew me away. (Onyx is book two in the Lux Series). Unlike Obsidian, which now feels like the Intro book, I was sucked into the alien life and the electric sexual tension between Daemon and his 'Kitten.'

There was one point in the story where I almost cried so beware, there is a tear-jerker moment. A few near death moments really making this book an action movie for your mind. 

Ash is still a alien biatch. The other aliens are not that accepting of Katy and her somewhat tumultuous relationship with Daemon that is never actually labeled 'a relationship.'

But Holy Moly Batman, this book takes a turn to Crazyville but in an extremely amazing way. Without giving too much away, Katy becomes more like Daemon than before and though this connects them Katy can't get over her hesitancy towards Daemon's now demand for "more."

Daemon truly jumps off the jerk bandwagon in this book and though he has his moments, it becomes more apparent that is who he is and what he does to protect himself and Dee. And boy oh boy Dee is always an interesting character. She's fun, vivacious and everything a alien best friend should be.

Katy is still in my opinion awesome. Probably because her love of books that even Daemon can't seem to grasp. ""People who didn't heart books didn't understand." I loved the idea of him hi-jacking her video blog because if only all blogs had a hot guy host, no one would spend time doing anything else but watching them.

The introduction of a new male character was, I thought, perfectly planned. Don't panic, there is no underlying love triangle plot that tries to stop Katy and Daemon from, well, continuing their charade of dislike for each-other. Obviously the tension is high because Daemon is so protective of Katy and not in a brotherly fashion. He often saves the day and her life because for some reason in this book Katy surpasses her limits. She takes the new changes she's gone through and tries to outdo herself without proper training. Granted, anyone would do the same but I felt at time, she should have thought first before acting.

The Arum are back causing havoc and murder. Onyx is rather reminiscent of a episode of the X-files with all the DOD running around and hidden conspiracies waiting to be uncovered. 

Okay, so I know I said before Obsidian was a relief because there was no cliff-hanger. Well, Onyx, definitely has a cliff-hanger but not in the I will sacrifice my first born child to read the next one cliffhanger, but rather one that will have you at the store or online to Amazon to get the next one within a few days. I actually thought I like Onyx better after waiting a few days to write the review. The ending was somewhat expected which makes it easier to handle and sort of sets us the premise for book 3.

If you've read Obsidian, you definitely want to read Onyx. You will fall in love with Daemon again and maybe even start your own 'secret' alien fan club.

Alas, Katy finally speaks the truth:
"I never felt this way with anyone else. Like I'm falling every time I'm around you, like I can't catch my breath, and I feel alive-not just standing around you and letting my life walk past me. There's been nothing like that with anyone else." - Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...